Every night around 8, I pick my strawberries, we are still picking a colander full each day! At the same time big brown slugs the same size as my thumb, arise out of the ground and move slowly towards the strawberry patch......a big crowd of up to 20! I pick them up and throw them high into the air and over the meadow..never to be seen again! Until the next night when another bunch appear. One great thing about having so many strawberries, is that only a few get eaten, so the idea is...plant lots of one thing, then there is not too much damage from slugs!!!
Stella is doing ok, lots of rest in a darkened area of the house, she loves to have books read to her, and someone always close by....Sam and I are taking it in turns to nurse her back to good health. With Stella so quiet, Ruben has taken the floor, with big conversations about anything, and lots of energy for bouncing and catching his ball......by 8 at night, the house is peaceful, with children tucked into beds and snoozing, time for parents to sit and enjoy a wine and the birds chirping in the big green trees around us.....and time to search for slugs!!!
Poor Stella...measles are no fun! I had them when I was about 9 and had to do the whole darkened room bit. That's fine in winter, when people stay indoors more and snuggle with each other, sit by the fire. But summertime is kid's time. She'll be out and about before long. Strawberries and slugs...good and evil! Enjoy your harvest, and I hope you have a good arm for slinging those nasty creatures far!
ReplyDeleteLiz