We had an afternoon off from children, with the man of the house not working from lunch onwards......we took our bikes and explored a lovely village with lonely lanes following a bubbling brook...the gardens had beautifully stacked wood piles, and were like sculptures, pleasing to the eye, giving us a sense of nurturing for the families for winter....and whilst driving home I noticed these neatly stacked piles everywhere, sticks bundled together and placed in piles under a weathered piece of iron, and unified logs awaiting there turn to be burned, and to keep cold fingers and toes warm in the depths of winter.
Apples are also being picked and turned into cloudy sweet smelling juice, and poured into bottles and also placed neatly on shelves next to jars of tomato relish and plum jam.....
Autumn is here and Summer has gone...... pools are taken down, dried and packed away for next year....Ugg boots are back on the shoe rack....Soups are back on the menu.....A single sheet is replaced with a doona.....Yellow leaves are falling from the trees.....Spiderwebs are glistening from the early morning dew...and the flies have retreated from our home.
I can't remember ever having to rely on burning wood for heat. Ever since I was a little girl, we've always had central heat and air. We have a gas fireplace for "ambience" now, altho in past homes, we had wood burning fireplaces. Our summer is hanging on, and I like that very much. Fall does give us a sense of nurturing and bundling for winter.
ReplyDeleteLiz