Friday, May 28, 2010

Weasels prowling at night........






After a few hours of sighing and dealing with sibling rivalry, I had to think hard for a creative solution...Cleaning of bikes one afternoon.....one hour of peacefulness! It was humbling to see them both, respect and look after there toys. These bikes get used every day, circuits around the house, ropes tied on and pulled, tracks made around the garden and down steep banks.
We were all a bit sad this morning, when we found out a weasel had eaten our little red hen..telltale sign, no head! She was in a secure roosting area, but the weasel bit through the wood and squeezed through a 8 cm hole.
So no French hens at the moment...........Ruben has spent the morning listening out for weasels, and has often come in with wide eyes and a whisper "I heard a rustling in the bushes mum, i reckon the weasel is hiding there".......We have had a few chickens eaten by predators in the last few years, so the children are learning about death in a small way..........Ruben said this morning "It will be allright Mum, Jesus can come back and bring him back to life" , thanks to my Mum and Dad for there stories about Jesus and God, it gives the children a lovely sense of peace sometimes......I love to hear what little children think, there minds are always asking questions and coming up with solutions.
We have seen a few snakes here, grey with yellow stripes or dots.....but no biting ants, no spiders, no mosquitos, lots of cuckoo birds, and owls at night. The moths are big here, and we saw a velvet black one with yellow dots and orange markings when he opened his wings..it was magnificent!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh, those lazy days of summertime, so much to do, yet not much of anything, for a country child! Glad to see them wearing hats to protect them from the sun's rays. I take my grandchildren to worship with me as often as I can. It's an important part of my life and I want to be an example for them. No spiders in your part of France, you say? Lucky! I'm packing my bags and boarding the next plane....I hate spiders!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete